The sutras say that those who recite the Buddha’s name with utmost sincerity will derive 10 great benefits in this very life:
These 10 benefits are described by the Buddha himself, as recorded in the sutras. Since Buddha recitation can bring such benefits in the present life and in the future, it is the most important of all mundane and supra-mundane Dharma methods. Cultivators should, therefore, redouble their efforts and not develop doubts.
- Day and night they enjoy the invisible protection of all celestial beings, powerful deities and their multitudes of retainers;
- twenty-five great bodhisattvas Avalokiteśvara and other bodhisattvas, constantly keep them in mind and protect them;
- they enjoy the continuous aid and protection of the Buddhas; Amitabha Buddha emits constant light to gather them in;
- no evil demons, ferocious dragons, poisonous snakes or the like can harm them;
- they do not meet with such calamities as drowning, burning or other violent death; nor do they encounter such punishment as being shackled and imprisoned;
- previous evil karma is gradually dissipated; the souls of those whom they have murdered in past lives are liberated and no longer seek revenge;
- they have restful sleep or dream of auspicious events or view the supremely wonderful body of Amitabha Buddha;
- their minds are always joyful and at peace their complexions clear and bright, their bodies filled with energy and strength; whatever they undertake generally meets with success;
- they are always honored and assisted by others, and are gladly accorded the respect reserved for the Buddhas;
- at the time of death, they do not experience fright, as right thoughts manifest themselves; they witness Amitabha Buddha and the sacred assembly bearing the golden lotus dais, to welcome and escort them to the Pure Land, where they will enjoy peace of mind and happiness forever.
--from Dialogs with Ancient Masters